(Play with songs)
Opened: 1962, Royal Court Theatre, London; October 1, 1963, Plymouth Theatre, N.Y.C. and closed on October 4, 1964; reopened on January 6, 1964 at the Booth Theatre, N.Y.C.
Performances: ? (London); 149 (N.Y.C.)
Note: The songs that appeared in this play were traditional English folk or music hall songs which have had numerous musical settings over the years. Only recordings of songs believed to use the particular musical setting employed in this play are noted below.
The Cutty Wren (M: Farell; L: Traditional):
1. New Sounds On Broadway, London
(S) PS 352 (Edmundo Ros and His Orchestra) [reissued on New Sounds On Broadway
& Broadway Sing-Along, CD/Vocalion CDLK 4330]
Knees Up! Mother Brown (M: Harris Weston; L: Bert Lee):
1. 78/London 713 (The Bandits and
Alan Breeze with Billy Cotton and His Orchestra) [reissued on
2. 45/Epic 5-9430 (The Ames Brothers) [reissued on Hello Italy/Knees Up, Mother Brown, CD/Collectables 7645]
3. 45/Victor 47-3748 (Merv Griffin and Ensemble with Freddy Martin and His Orchestra)
4. Songs The Won The War: The White Cliffs Of Dover, CD/ABC Classics 3809 (Guv'nor & The Boys)
5. The Very Best Of Mrs. Mills, CD/EMI 82040 (Mrs. Mills)
Lyke-Wake Dirge (M/L: